
Can someone...anyone....explain to me why women have to bring so much stuff to work? I've been a white-collar worker now for 15 years and I've never, ever...EVER...carried more than a briefcase to the office. My office window overlooks our parking lot which we share with another business. I watch with amazement each day at the volume of crap these size 2 through 10 women are able to carry. Not only that, it was eleven degrees this morning and everyone was dressed bulky. On the rare occasion I have something for lunch that doesn't fit in the briefcase, sure, I'll take a small lunch cooler with me. However, when I took the train into the city for 5 years straight - I ate out every day JUST SO I wouldn't have to look like a pack mule on the rails. There was nothing worse than a business woman coming down the aisle, bumping every aisle rider in the head with her considerable amount of bags as she marched to her seat. I get out of my car this morning with my briefcase and off I go. I really don't even need it, but it's a good way to carry headphones, gum, bananas, power bars, chap-stick, pens and cds. Another guy gets out carrying a cup of coffee and a sling bag. Good job! The first woman of the day pulls up and gets out after reaching across her seat to get her bag off of the passenger seat. She proceeds to the back door and gets what appears to be a laptop out. That goes over the other shoulder. We go from there to the trunk to get another hand held bag with a strap and a briefcase type bag. Four bags. Another guy comes...1 bag. Another girl comes...3 bags. It continues like this for an hour. Every female without fail has at minimum 3 bags. Most have 4. Some have MORE than 4 including purse. Not one guy has more than two. That throws out the purse theory. What kind of mystery is this? What are we guys missing? I want to know what's in there - but I also don't want to know. I know it's going to be something like "well smart ass, I carry War & Peace in case the turnpike closes down while I'm on it so I have something to read. I take the laptop home so I can work a little in my spare time (you're not fooling anybody - you don't even turn it on). I have 3 snacks all in separate containers for morning, early afternoon and late afternoon. I have 2 cans of Diet Coke because it's cheaper than the machines. I have extra plastic ware in case our kitchen is out. I have 2 cell phones, an iPod and all their chargers. I have a cake mix, 2 eggs and a 1/4 cup of milk in case the office needs cheering up. I have a yoga mat and my blowup exercise ball for my break. Are you happy NOW smart ass? Oh, you want to know what's in the other 2 as well?". No, I don't. I want to know if business women have a higher rate of back pain than the rest of the population.
1 comment:
Just for the record, your sis is not "one of them". I take two bags - a laptop backback and a purse. Contents of laptop backpack = 1 laptop, 1 notebook and current paperwork, 1 bottle of water, and cellphone/iPod/Bberry accessories. Oh yeah, and the household bills file (I pay those sometimes during my lunch). The purse holds the wallet, makeup, iPod, keys, pens, etc. When I take food to work it usually goes in the purse.
I, too, used to see these women on the train when I worked in the city. Not only to they bang your head and shoulders as they go by, but they take up another train seat for all their gear! Oh yeah, and when I worked in the city, I would put an extra pair of shoes in the backpack since I usually wore tennis shoes for walking.
This brings up another interesting question...why do the ladies restrooms often have chairs and/or couches? Do you really want to sit and lounge with your friends in a public restroom?
Post a Comment