
Except for my Jewish friends, "Mark and Zach and Doug and Stan. They're the boys that eat no ham," lots of people serve a ham dinner at Easter. So I wanted to share my recipe for Maple Glazed Ham with all 3 of our loyal readers... Fan tells me the readership would be higher but half of his family is still in an alcohol haze from celebrating Still A. Unc's birthday... guess he's getting too old to post comments any more.
Anyway, I got this recipe from an African-American friend of mine from Alabama. He served as organist, choir director and chief cook at his Negro Baptist church in deepest darkest Baltimore. The church culture among African-Americans in Baltimore is HUGE. And this dish is served at many of their frequent social fellowship events. So it is most definitely a tried and true recipe which will have everyone sitting at your table smiling. I have been serving it for my family since 2002 and I think it's a big reason why they tolerate having me around during holidays! I last served it at Christmas for my family in Texas and it was a huge success. Please feel free to give it a try. And if you do, post a comment and let us know how your guests enjoyed it.
So with no further delay, I present Maple Glazed Ham:
Maple Glazed Ham
1 can sliced pineapple
1 jar maraschino cherries
1 bottle Log Cabin Maple Syrup
1 12oz Coca-cola
5-10 whole cloves
1 jar honey
1 10 lb. or larger fresh ham.
DOG's note: Get a real ham. Not one of these pre-seasoned, pre-sliced, or pre-cooked hams. Get one with the bone in (the closer the bone the sweeter the meat). Plus, real hams are usually cheaper.
Directions:
Cut the excess fat off the ham.
Attach pineapples to the ham w/toothpicks.
Attach cherries to the ham in the center of each pineapple slice w/toothpicks.
Attach cloves to the ham.
Heat on the stove the leftover cherry juice, pineapple juice, some maple syrup and honey. Do not boil just warm it up.
Preheat oven to 375.
Pour the can of Coke over the ham.
Pour syrup on the ham generously.
Pour the heated syrup, juice and honey over the ham.
Cover w/aluminum foil.
Bake for one hour, basting every 15 minutes.
Remove the aluminum foil and bake an additional half-hour to brown.
Slice and serve.
Watch your friends go crazy!!
As with any recipe, this is a guideline and not a hard and fast, set in stone way to cook a ham. This is the recipe as it was given to me by my friend. I do not follow it to the letter. My usual variation on this is to add extra honey and lots of extra maple syrup during the cooking stage. Another friend of mine uses orange juice in place of pineapple juice. But you can be as creative as you want to be. This is an absolute 'can't miss' recipe. And don't forget to add lots of the secret ingredient, love.
14 comments:
1 bottle of log cabion syrup is a little subjective. we DO live right beside a costco....lol
Like I said, it's just a guideline, free for your own interpretation. For me personally, a big jug of maple syruup from Costco would be just fine. But some may not do backflips through rings of fire for anything maple flavored like I do.
It is called MAPLE glazed ham for a reason though.
Unfortunately I am not cooking tomorrow or I would be trying this. I did make a cheesecake and apple pie and have to make my mac and cheese in a crock pot that everyone asks for.
Next time I make a ham I will definitely try this.
Happy Easter - to all 3 of us!
FYI - Listening to Keith Urbans new CD right now - another good one from him.
I usually make mine like this,except I use brown sugar instead of syrup.
I may opt for the maple syrup this time.
Mmmm...I might have to try this next weekend. We've been sick all week and weren't sure where we would be dining today, so I bought a ham just in case we were all quarantined at home. We did go to C's (still an Unc's daughter), but she didn't appear to have a hangover. Anyway, I put the ham in the freezer, so maybe I'll have to try it. It is a pre-cooked spiral cut, though. I usually alternate maple syrup and brown sugar between the slices.
TOO OLD, I'LL GIVE YOU TOO OLD, Just printed the recipe so Still an Aunt can try it next time we have a ham. Sounds good and brother B said he made it yesterday, but didn't use all the mapel syurp it called for. Wanta hear a good one, My 11 year old grandson Kyle won this years bracket pool over 57 other "older and wiser" guys to the sum of $330. He is saving most of the money for a car when he is 16. he thinks he is going to inherit the 66 Mustang, but i'm not sure about that, then I would have to have 3 more for the other grandkids. NOW who doesn't post here anymore?? And I did stay sober for my birthday. Boy what's happening????
Still an Unc, very glad to see the rumors that you are still alive turned out to be true! Very sorry to see that you remained sober for your birthday. I'm guessing at your age staying sober is a prerequisite for having birthdays to celebrate?
I'll drink one (or three) to your birthday, health, and to the hopes that you get to taste one of these hams. You know where I live. Come on down. I'll make you one myself.
Sounds like your grandson was smart enough not to pick Connectiuct in the finals... unless it was the women's tournament.
i already have a verbal committment that the corvette is mine, but i dont want it for another 30+ years. do i need to get that in writing?
ever notice how the posts relating to food get the most comments?
Yes While, I have noticed that. And Fans says the most hits the blog has ever gotten was on the Haluski post way back when I first started contributing.
But that's no coincidence. Not everybody cares about football. And not everybody cares about music. And certainly not everybody cares what vermin Fan runs into on his way to the basement shitter at his work. But everybody has to eat.
In Indonesia they deep fry roaches. In the U.S. we smoke them! Roach clips are much cheaper than deep friers too!
Still A. Fan said...
" i already have a verbal committment that the corvette is mine, but i dont want it for another 30+ years. do i need to get that in writing?"
Maybe you should start sharing the cost of maintaining it?
send me a bill. maintenance? you own the garage and drive it sparingly. tell you what...next time you drive it to my house, i'll fill you up with washer fluid. deal?
30 years!
By then you wont be able to see the road on the way to IHOP to hit on the young waitresses who will know you as the local pervert.
Try to get it now while there is still some life left in you.
well while, thats up to still a dad as to when i actually get the vette. his neighbor drives to florida and he's what, 90? still a dad is only 68 and he runs half marathons and more mileage a week than i do. maybe still a dad will end up with a maxima!!!!
Post a Comment