Wednesday, November 08, 2006

National Pundits Are Wrong.....Again


I just got done reading an article by some idiot pundit about the state of the Steeler Nation. He blames their record on Cowher's uncertain future with the team. Let me tell you something, Steeler fans know this team better than any national pundit. That's crazy talk. Are the Steelers overmatched? No. Are they getting physically dominated? No. Are they moving the ball and converting 3rd downs? Yes. Most people don't realize that they are statistically better in total offense and defense than they were last year at this point. Are they being outcoached? I don't think so. What they are doing is giving the ball away at an alarming rate - and not getting blown out while doing it. Denver is supposed to have a great defense. We gave it away 6 times and were still in the game up until the last 3 minutes. We went to overtime with Atlanta and had 5 turnovers. Can someone please explain to me how Hines Ward fumbling on the goal line has anything to do with whether Cowher will be back next year? How can you equate the five or more Ben Roethlisberger tipped ball picks with the coach's future? Santonio Holmes dropping kicks and punts is soley responsible in my opinion for two of the losses. Again, is the coach's future on his mind? He's a rookie who could care less who will be coaching next year. The only thing separating this 2-6 team from 6-2 is turnovers. Plain and simple. Like "The Dog" said in a recent comment - watching the games now turns into "what can they do to lose this one?". Fumbles and picks. Not even bad fumbles and picks. Helmets are hitting the ball in the best places possible. Ben throws 4 picks but only 1 is a terrible decision. Everything that went right last year is now going wrong. Good bounces are bad bounces. I did not want to pay Randle El crazy money to stay because he wasn't that important on offense. I don't even think we miss his returns as Holmes is fine when he catches the ball cleanly. What we miss is not having to hold out breath every time an opposing kicker or punter comes into the game. When the kick returner is thinking "Please God don't let me fumble" we've already lost. The record has nothing to do with Coach Cowher's future. The record has nothing to do with Ben's off season. The record has even less to do with Bettis retiring. The record boils down to turnovers. If they stop turning the ball over, they stop losing. Simple as that. I don't know why that's not as plain as the chin on Cowher's face to anyone who writes about football.

3 comments:

stilladog said...

I do find myself getting nervous though, when we've stopped a team inside their own 15 forcing a punt. Used to be I'd be salivating about Randle-El catching the punt between the 45s somewhere and us setting up shop inside the opponents 40. Now I wonder 1)Can whatever knucklehead Cowher has back there catch the ball cleanly? and 2)Can he hold onto it until the whistle blows?

I still contend that when Willie Reid gets his foot healed and gets out of Cowher's doghouse, he will be the man. And we will not be continually harping about losing Randle-El.

At first I blamed Cowher for putting Retardo Chokely back there and that was fair criticism.

I thought Holmes would be fine but apparently he is worrying about his baby mama support payments more than catching and holding a punted football.

Now Cowher has no choice. Cedrick Wilson can catch the ball but he most definitely is not a return man. Again I find myself wanting Willie Reid in the lineup. I hope once he gets a good chance he justifies my faith in him.

We can always change the team name to the Pittsburgh Wolfpack to make Cowher feel more at ease the rest of the year.

Still A. Fan said...

do we have the number that pittsburgh offered ARE? i'm sure it was more in the $2.5 range. all i know is that he's stealing money in washington. he'll never see the end of that contract and will take heat in the press for not being a big produce for what he's getting paid. he should have stayed here and had the love of the fans and not much pressure.

stilladog said...

Can't blame ARE. If I told you that you could choose between 10 million bucks or my undying love for eternity, I'm pretty sure the cash wold win out.

When Dan Snyder decides he's not getting a satisfactory ROI on Randle-El he'll be on the market soon enough.