Sunday, August 31, 2008
Willie Reid Is Gone
Slantedamus was right yet again. Willie Reid was cut this year in favor of Dallas Baker making the 5 wideouts Holmes, Ward, Washington, Sweed and Baker. I thought Baker might get beat out by Micah Rucker, a 6'6" 221 lb monster, but Baker is a nice size and has spend a year on the practice squad. I'm guessing Mewelde Moore spelled the beginning of the end with his ability to return both punts and kicks. I wasn't surprised by any of the cuts this year, mostly because I failed to watch a ton of preseason games! I guess I was a little surprised to see Orpheus Roye back on the roster instead of developing a younger player. I also feel bad for Charlie Batch. What started out looking like a shorter injury has turned into being placed on IR. I hope Ben stays healthy, I don't want to have to rely on Lefwich for any length of time. Can't wait to start the weekly game capsules.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yes, no big surprises really. My only surprise was that a big worthless lug like Tony Hills made the squad at all. Maybe he shows more in practice than I've seen the few chances I got this summer.
Sorry to see Willie Reid go because I always thought he had great potential. But maybe he just wasn't right for the Steelers. He surely had the chance to prove himself and he did not.
Sweed and Baker need to keep looking over their shoulder, Micah Rucker was signed to the practice squad. Sweed has been rather disappointing as a #2 pick. And Baker, while showing huge improvement, still hasn't shown that he's locked down a permanent roster spot. All in all the WR corps looks pretty good though.
Very unfortunate for Charlie Batch. But the moment I heard on the radio that he had broken his collarbone, I knew right then it was IR and the eventual end for Charlie as a Steeler.
So we go to war with what we got. Still a decent team. But lots of things will have to break our way for us to still be watching the Steelers in January.
Post a Comment