Tuesday, March 09, 2010

FAN: Second Helping


The tosser of the best pass in Super Bowl XL has returned to the Stillers. I hope it works out. On paper, I'm not sure why we did it. Was it a knee-jerk reaction tot he Shitbirds signing Stallworth and Boldin? If so, I don't think we scared anybody. I like him as receiver #4, but if he takes snaps away from Wallace, then I'm good and pissed off. Hines is old, folks. The future is Tone and Wallace. Wallace needs to play as much as possible.
If he's here for kick returns or punt returns - I thought Logan was really good last year - much better than ARE towards the end of his Steeler run when I thought he danced way too much instead of taking yardage when it was there. I don't know, maybe I hold a grudge that he even left the first time. We did offer him a contract if memory serves.
I read an article that said we also contacted Larry Foote. Did anyone else read that? Weird. Usually when we say "bye" we're getting younger. I'm glad Ryan Clark stayed but I hope we didn't overpay. We have a bunch of big name players making big name money. We need to fill those other slots with lower salaries than the reported 4 mil for Ryan. He is an intimidator though and I love that. Maybe the contract is structured in the team's favor. We'll see. I'm not surprised by Clark coming back but I am surprised about the other 3 signings. I was glad to see the salaries of Battle and Allen as they were relatively low.

3 comments:

stilladog said...

The way I see it, Limas Sweed will likely be gone. Not sure what is wrong with him but if he doesn't step it up BIG there are too many good WRs on the roster now to keep a guy who can't be relied upon to catch the ball. At #4WR Randle-El is an upgrade over Shaun McDonald and Tyler Grisham. Plus he can spell Hines, who is getting no younger. Plus, I think Randle-El can still be a very dangerous slot receiver.

People will point out that Randle-El didn't do shit in Washington. And that's true. But what do you expect from Snyder/Zorn/Campbell? Plus, he was not even called upon to return punts regularly. I say the 'Skins just didn't know how to use his unique talents. Will Arians? I don't know, but Whisenhunt sure did.

I think Stephan Logan still contributes on this team. KO returns will be his. Punt returns will be a camp competition between Battle, Randle-El, & Logan. I don't think Logan will be the gunner on kick coverage units any more. What you surely won't see any longer is Mewelde Moore or Santonio Holmes returning kicks.

So say hello to the Flea-Flicker again! Anybody who has ever seen Antwan Randle-El throw a ball in warm-ups knows he has a better arm than at least two dozen men drawing a paycheck at the QB position in the NFL.

Bottom line is, he adds depth at a number of positions. He got his payday. Now he's back where he belongs. I say, "Welcome Back!"

stilladog said...

Regarding Larry Foote: Many people using 20/20 hindsight say we should have released Farrior, kept Foote, and moved Timmons over to Farrior's spot.

I am not completely opposed to bringing Foote back at the right price. Although I think we need to get younger on defense not older. But hey, he looks young to 70 year-old LeBeau!

Remember, Joey Porter is still out there unsigned too...

Anonymous said...

Foote wants $8 mil a year. He wants to be a starter. Not sure the Steelers want that, but I'm not sure Foote is going to get what he wants anywhere else either.

He's in Phoenix with Joey Porter today. Great, first Brian St. Pierre, and now this.