Monday, September 08, 2008

One Down, Fifteen To Go


Ok, so I borrowed the image from Pittgirl.......sue me. I know it was the Texans, but my God. We looked unstoppable. Ben was 13 of 14 and sat out the 4th quarter. Nice game. Fast Willie Parker was fast, and a little beefier(?) on the power runs. I'm not sure what I was disappointed about, but this is what I liked in no particular order. I liked Ben getting the ball out quickly. He was quick and decisive. I liked seeing Willie take the corner a few times....he didn't lose the speed when he got hurt last year. I like seeing Lamar Woodley doing his best Greg Lloyd impersonation. I liked seeing Timmons getting in there as well. We have six LBs who can start on any team in the league. I liked the spot on the 4th and 1 on the Shaub sneak (he he). I liked Tomlin's reaction to that play as well. He reminded me of a young Bill Cowher. I think I fell asleep in the 4th quarter at some point due to waking up at 5 AM and running 11 miles starting at the ass crack of dawn, then laying in a hot tub for an hour followed by cleaning out a flat stone patio in preperation for re-sanding it after the game.....why do I mention that? I'm wondering if I missed Limas Sweed? I wanted to see him and I didn't. To continue - I loved the kick coverage. Gay and that other running back did a wonderful job getting down and not allowing the guy to make a move on them.

What didn't I like? The announcers. Randy Cross is horrible. I swear he called Ben "Roethlisberg" a few times. They also say things out their asses that Steeler fans know to be untrue. In a nutshell, they suck. I didn't like seeing Ike Taylor get picked on early. I don't think he's the shut down corner we thought we had a few years ago. He's solid, no more, no less. I wasn't crazy about Anthony Smith making the team this year. Maybe he'll wise up and be more of a thinker this year. Other than that, you can't find many bad things to say. Take it in stride, it was the Texans, but it sure feels good to get week 1 out of the way with a win. Cowher had a knack for slow starts and I hated that aspect of his tenure. Maybe we can get out 2-0 with the Brown Underwear Stains next week.

1 comment:

stilladog said...

Fast Willie looked good: Check.
Big Ben looked good: Check.
LaMarr Woodley good: Check.
Timmons good: Check.
Limas Sweed: Inactive for the game, check. Tomlin says he'll let Limas know when he thinks he's improved.
Offensive line: If they can run block like that against everybody it will take a lot of pressure off them (and Big Ben) in pass pro.
Polamalu: Good to see him flying to the ball again.

Best thing? I could relax and cook chicken wings, kielbasa, and corn-on-the-cob during the game. Knowing that every time somebody yelled "Dog, you got to come see this (on the DVR)," it was Polamalu making an interception, or Parker or Ward scoring a TD, or Woodley knocking the snot out of somebody.

Hope we can sustain this level of play.