Monday, September 22, 2008
Turnpike? More Like Turnstile....
Well, the Steelers suffered their first defeat of the season yesterday in magnificent fashion. A lot of people were saying the offensive line problems were fixed. Right, and Mike Tyson is now a babysitter. Much like Tyson would eat the small children, the Steelers offensive line looked a little like Niagra Falls yesterday. Defenders were rushing in and putting him on the carpet before he finished his backdrop. Phil Freakin' Simms was saying after the 4th or 5th sack that he should start thinking about getting rid of the ball instead of taking the sacks. Are you kidding me? Was he watching the same game we were? Ben had ZERO chance to get rid of those balls. Maybe on a few of them, but not when Phil suggested it. So, what was it? What was the cause? Let's assume they change nothing before halftime and try to make the adjustments there. Did they try to give him help? Yes. Did it help? No. Why didn't it help? Because they rushed from every angle possible and always seemed to bring someone free. I don't know how you're supposed to drop back to pass when a guy that is starting out 8 feet from you is running forward full speed without a guy even touching him at you. You can't do it. Had we been able to run the ball, it would have helped, but we couldn't do that either. Draws to slow it down? No way. No time. They would have taken the handoff themselves. Our defense played well also, but it's been a long time since I've seen our offense so handcuffed. Ben got hit often, but I still think we hit McNabb harder. So, we had the entire halftime to adjust and we really didn't. Their defensive line is about twice as talented as our offensive line plus they had better schemes. I saw a guy run right past Hartwig (who full on blocked another guy) but what I saw was a lack of communication before the snap where he didn't point to him or scream out "who has this F'er right here?" before snapping the ball. These are things our centers of the past did. Anyway.....other things I noticed...... Anthony Smith should just be cut. He's a low class idiot and we don't need players like him. At some point he's going to cost us the ball and/or 15 yards at a critical juncture. The Eagles punter took the wind out of our sails at least 3 times, maybe 4. When kicking from the endzone, I got excited as I thought the prospect of getting the ball on the 50 might spark the offense. Not. I think he kicked it to the 28 or something. Nate Washington could have caught a pass that he had 2 hands on to sustain a drive after halftime. Jeff Reed showed me distance I didn't know he had. The announcers were crucifying the Steelers for not kicking the FG late needing two scores, but what they failed to point out in their enjoyment of pointing it out - was that the clock was running and we were out of timeouts. It would have taken a lot of time to run the offense off.....bring the FG unit out.....set....kick...... I think in effect he was licking his wounds and already thinking about The Ravens. I'm not faulting him for not kicking the FG in that situation. I think at minimum 20-30 seconds would have been needed....IF they even got it off before being called for delay of game. Oh, I also think Ben did not ground that ball. He had a guy in the area and it was batted without a chance to get to the line. However, his knee was hitting at the same exact time so you have to think Fatboy Reid would have seen that and challenged it as well. I was glad to see the teams talk after the game. It seemed to me they had a lot of respect for each other. I don't mind losing a close game to a good team on the road. We just need to get our heads out of our asses and fix the O-Line problem for the Ravens and Giants and other teams with a rush.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It was beyond ugly. In fact it was downright embarrassing. After the game you could tell the Steelers players were humiliated. They had reason to be. Our defense played well IMO but keep in mind Westbrook was out. The only positive from the week was that Cleveland and the Bengals both lost. The reason the Eagles defense was so effective was because of one thing...speed! They've got a very quick defense! I feel we will rebound and come back strong against the Ravens. I'd rather a ugly loss happen now than later. Dallas is the best team in the NFL after three weeks but what matters is who is the best in weeks 17 and on.
My Perspective:
Never saw an NFL offensive line look so bad since I've been watching football which goes back roughly 45 years. Now the Steelers of the 60s weren't on TV, and I'm sure some of those lines were worse. But I didn't see them.
Losing a road game to a good NFC team doesn't hurt us much. Except that we're going to get a steady diet of what the Eagles fed us until some team has put Big Ben in the hospital. And then they'll go after Leftwich.
Adjustments? We don't need no damn adjustments to that line. Yes folks, that's pretty much what our head coach is saying. Stay the course with these inept buffons. We got Max Starks making 7 million riding the pine while Willie Colon gets ass-raped play after play. But our coach doesn't want to distrupt the unity. This is pure bullshit. How much worse could Starks be? Sorry to pick on Willie, the worst lineman we have is Kendall Simmons... although they all look bad.
Adjustments on offense? What is that? Bruce Arians knows of no such thing. The opponent is bringing the heat on our franchise QB, what can be done? For starters, a three step drop, quick slants, screens, draws, quick outs. Yet we did not see a single one of these things attempted to slow down the Eagle pass-rush. I don't know as much football as Arians, but I damn sure can call a better game than him. So could your average chimpanzee.
The chickens have come home to roost. Last offseason we knew Bruce Arians was a total shithead and needed to be fired just as he was at Temple, Alabama, the Cleveland Browns (Bruce Davis actually took his play calling responsibilities away from him in Cleveland) and pretty much every place he has ever worked. Didn't happen. Stay the course.
Larry Zierlein the offensive line coach should have been fired after his internet-porn-at-work episode which would have cost each one of us our jobs had we done the same. The fact is that he is putting the weakest unit on the field for Pittsburgh for two years running now. Yes, even weaker than last years special teams. Stay the course.
We have done nothing to improve our personnel on the offensive line. We let Faneca go with no compensation nor attempt at replacing him. Letting him go was OK. Not even drafting or signing a player to replace him is unconscionable. And don't tell me Tony Hills either.
Now our head coach is acting like an idiot. I have tried to like him and give him a break while he learns. But he is weak in many areas. "Stay the course" is bullshit. Want to see what staying the course with inept personnel gets you? Look at the Detroit Lions and their fascination with Matt Millen as GM. If you don't clean the shit out of your house, your house will smell like shit and eventually turn to shit.
We have 13 more games. If after one more performance like Sunday in ANY of the remaining games Bruce Arians and Larry Zierlein remain employed by the Pittsburgh Steelers, I am giving up on the season. And Mike Tomlin better watch his ass too. Just because the AFC North has Marvin Lewis and Romeo Crennel as coaches doesn't mean Tomlin has to be as stupid as them.
the dog is preaching. i'm buying.
Post a Comment