Friday, March 10, 2006

Will Cap Increase Save Randle El? No.


Even though the salary cap has been increased by $7 million dollars this year - I still don't think the Steelers will retain Randle El. As I've stated before - I love the guy and I wish we could sign him - but somebody will definitely overpay for him...and hate themselves for it in 2 years. Randle El is a role player - not a free agent to covet. For fiscal responsibility's sake, we just can't pay the 4th option in the offense crazy money. Randle El will get his, but not from us. I think if we make him a fair offer he should take it. Do you really think Az-Akim enjoyed having all that pressure put on him when he went to Detroit for top dollars after excelling as the Rams standout slot receiver? He was quickly cut and is no longer a relevant player. Had he remained with the Rams for less money, he would have continued to shine. I wish Randle El the best if he leaves, but I will be really surprised if he ends up catching 75 balls for 1,000 yards and those are the numbers he better hit if he's being paid in the $3 million dollar range. Right now, Brett Keisel and Charlie Batch are more important in my mind. I like Sean Morey also. We need role players and depth. I'd even like Verron Haynes back. I guess we'll see starting tomorrow.

No comments: