Here's another really good business book I just finished. I picked it up strictly based on it's cover one day while I had my daughter at the bookstore. Once I saw that the authors wrote it as kind of a companion to The Tipping Point, I had to read it. It's really good. It breaks down the components of creating better messages. It gives many examples of two attempts to get the same point across.....one obviously being much better than the other. One of the better stories is how Subway's national advertisers passed on the original story of Jared. However, a local Subway refused to give up thinking it was a great story and used it and eventually the national arm came crawling back once they realized their mistake. Another great example was the media blitz on how bad movie popcorn is for your health. The group delivering the message needed the idea to stick so they came up with the idea of visually showing people the amount of fat and cholesterol that was in a normal serving. It had a much greater effect than just writing a number down that doesn't mean much to anyone. The book is loaded with examples like this and the next time you're asked to present something in any context - it will really make you think and try to construct a better message so that your idea will "stick".
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Stick This
Here's another really good business book I just finished. I picked it up strictly based on it's cover one day while I had my daughter at the bookstore. Once I saw that the authors wrote it as kind of a companion to The Tipping Point, I had to read it. It's really good. It breaks down the components of creating better messages. It gives many examples of two attempts to get the same point across.....one obviously being much better than the other. One of the better stories is how Subway's national advertisers passed on the original story of Jared. However, a local Subway refused to give up thinking it was a great story and used it and eventually the national arm came crawling back once they realized their mistake. Another great example was the media blitz on how bad movie popcorn is for your health. The group delivering the message needed the idea to stick so they came up with the idea of visually showing people the amount of fat and cholesterol that was in a normal serving. It had a much greater effect than just writing a number down that doesn't mean much to anyone. The book is loaded with examples like this and the next time you're asked to present something in any context - it will really make you think and try to construct a better message so that your idea will "stick".
Labels:
good books
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment