Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Gift Cards For Rebates

I hate companies. Well, most companies. I'm a capitalist at heart and want to like them, but when they abuse or try to scam their own customers, it pisses me off. Who am I currently mad at? Verizon, for one. I am typically a Verizon supporter. I have FiOS internet, FiOS land line, FiOS tv and 2 Verizon wireless phones. Why am I fired up? They tried to get me! Honest. I finally put my Razr (I miss you Razr!) to rest. I had it for close to 4 years and I loved it. It was time. I needed Qwerty. I text and email more than ever on my phone any I couldn't keep doing it with 9 number keys. So, on my new phone I got a $70 rebate. First of all, I HATE rebates. Just make the ffing thing cheaper by $70! Why the rebate? Because they know that a certain percentage of buyers will lose their receipt or completely forget to mail it in. I mailed mine in the day after I bought it. Well, they tried to trump me. Instead of sending a $70 check, they sent a $70 VISA gift card. Why is that trying to screw me? Because again, you cash a check, but you might not use a gift card. You might put it somewhere and forget it. More importantly to them, you might use it for a $48 purchase and then forget about it with $22 left on it....or even $2. Anything less than $70 is a bonus for them. I hate it. I hate the entire idea. The other one? I had PC issues recently and I was on a site to stress the CPU to see what speed it was really running at. While there I saw a tool that I wanted to buy for my machine. It was $29 and change. There was another tool you could add for $9.95 if you bought the original tool. When the buy screen came up, the original tool was the only one checked (from what I could see). I clicked buy and the total was close to $40. I couldn't believe it. When I scrolled back up on that page, they had an anchor put in for the spot on the page that would only show the original tool checked. If you went up a little farther, there was another button that was prechecked for "Add the other tool for only $9.95". Can you believe that? I immediately sent them a nasty email to cancel the order. Get this. To cancel, you have to go to another website that they give the link for. From there, you fill it out and then it takes about a week to get an RMA number. When you get THAT, you have to email their customer service department with the RMA and your user/password. I can't wait to see how many days it takes before it's off my credit card. What a crooked ass company that is. Once I get my money back, I'll post again with the name of the company.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's complete and utter BS. I'm right there with you -- give me the $70 off and stop with the shenanigans. All it does is royally piss me off, and make me look for a similar product without the hassle.

Still A. While said...

It will take a good long time to get your rebate too. I am up for a 'free' new phone from Verizon. Well, my phone is fine and I dont use it much anyway. In a way I would like to get the new phone because who doesn't like a new toy now and then.....but I hate going to the store and I hate the hassle. It took 2 months for my rebate last time.
Why companies make everything so hard is beyond me. Even Amazon (which I love) you have to be careful when checking out because they plaster 'free shipping' everwhere on the site but if you dont click on it at checkout....too bad buddy.
Toys R Us is even worse.
Bastards.

Anonymous said...

Staples had a printer/camera bundle earlier this year with a rebate that would make the printer free. It was one of those lovely Staples rebate and Manufacturer combo rebate situations where you have to make sure that the right party gets the "original" UPC code or receipt vs. a photocopy. The printer had three UPC codes on it (I think the extras were labeled as copy 1 and copy 2). I cut one off of the box and sent it in. Canon rejected the rebate because it wasn't the original (it was one of the extras - it was part of the friggin' box so I didn't think it would be an issue). I still had the "original" one so I called to see how I could still get the rebate. They said I could scan the "original" and e-mail it to them. That's right - the one right off the box wasn't good enough to be original, but a scan would do just fine (even though a photocopy would not have sufficed when I originally mailed it in).

Still A. Fan said...

jesus joseph and mary! maybe i could start a rebate horror story blog!

i could call it....REBLOG

or.....BLOGATE

or....something

stilladog said...

Ain't that America. My mother told me my generation would F the whole place up and, much as I hate to say it, she was right again.

My entry into the Customer Ass-Rape Gate Blog involves Sony-BMG.

Mrs. Dog bought the Santana CD "All That I Am" back when it came out in 2005. It's a Sony-BMG disc. It plays fine in slot 6 of her car CD player where it's been sequestered for close to three years.

But just try to play it on your computer or rip it into iTunes. The son-of-a-bitch tries to install proprietary software which, after Googling it, turns out to be Spyware!!! Furthermore, if you don't install the software, you can't play the disc. Oh, it'll load into iTunes in what you think is an OK format. But when you play the songs it skips, jumps, and sounds like P-P-P-Porky P-P-P-Pig is singing!

This is really some shit. I paid for the disc and I should be able to play it on whatever device I want.

I looked at the contents of that CD on Windows Explorer and it's got more nested folders than you can shake a stick at. Metadata, Languages, Executable programs, all kinds of shit. Never did find the actual music files!

I'm going to find that album posted somewhere on the internet and download it. Can't be piracy if I already paid for the CD, right?

Sony hardware = A
Sony anything else = F

What idiot weenie-gobbler at Sony decided that putting spyware on customer's computers would be a good idea?

So y'all be careful out there if you buy any Sony-BMG discs. And if you think buying music off iTunes is the answer, think again. That is proprietary data and has all kinds of limitations. Can't play it on Sonos for damn sure. And Sonos is just about the coolest thing since well... refrigeration!