Thursday, November 26, 2009

FAN: Green Jello

Because I know Stilladog didn't have any today...I took a picture of the famous family Green Jello salad complete with carrots and pineapple pieces. It's a tradition for it to be present at the big turkey day meal. I don't crave it during the year but I eat it for symbolic reasons. The Gen X'ers refuse to prepare the dish so one of the "elder" statesmen of the family usually brings it. It was Still A Dad's mom's go-to dessert dish for pot luck meals. Here's to you Grandma S. I can't remember if we made fun of it when she was alive, but we sure do now. I assume at some point one of us X'ers will break down and start making it for nostalgic reasons. Happy Thanksgiving!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

3 comments:

still a cowbell said...

My family has a couple of those types of jell-o dishes and they are actually treated as side dishes to the main meal. There is pretzel salad, which is strawberries in jell-o with whipped cream in the middle and a crust made of crushed pretzels. There was also something called watergate salad, which I don't remember every thing of, but it was green and I think had marshmallows, coconut and mandarin oranges.

Still A. Fan said...

i also found out this AM that it's been made in the same green bowl since about 1945. mmmmmmmm, jello

stilladog said...

That Watergate Salad, if made right, is pretty darn tasty. Waaaaay better than green jello with carrots anyway.