
I can't believe I had to work today. I thought I always used to get Veteran's Day off. Some of the ridiculous things we get off for and we don't get this off. It's a slap in the face to the boys. Everyone should stay home and watch Saving Private Ryan followed by Black Hawk Down. This goes out to my three deceased great uncles who all served in the second world war....Stilladog's father Carl, "Chew" and "Boke". My other great uncle, Chick, served as well but saw no action. My cousin Doug was an Army Ranger in the 80's. Last but certainly not least, Still A Dad served in the Air Force as an MP in Japan. Veterans kick major ass. Hoo-Rah.
3 comments:
My wife works in the collection call center of an unnamed local bank (although its name is on one of the local ballparks, shh!). They had to work. That's right, the banks were closed, except for the parts of the banks that collects money. Also, I drove thru Blawnox on Wed and saw kids at the bus stop. Here here to everyone getting this off again.
Never once had a job where we got Veterans Day off. I'm all for it. And it seems to have taken on a renewed significance in the last 5-10 years. That's good. Those guys who kept and are keeping us free deserve a day of recognition.
And while we're giving ourselves holidays I'd like to suggest the following:
Martin Luther King Day
Ground Hog Day
Valentines Day
Washington's birthday
Lincoln's birthday
Let's keep "President's Day" too.
St. Patrick's Day
Good Friday & Easter Monday
Cinco De Mayo
May Day (May 1)
Flag Day
Pearl Harbor Day (Dec. 7)
Alamo Day (March 6)
D-Day (June 6)
All Saints Day (Nov. 1)
Arbor Day
Columbus Day
Earth Day (April 22)
and of course
Immaculate Reception Day (Dec. 23)
In Illinois all the schools are off for Kazmir Pulaski Day. No joke. He was a polish general in the Rev war, I guess. Since Chicago has more Poles than any city in the world except Warsaw, they have some clout and got their day. So you can add that to your list, first Monday of March.
Post a Comment