Saturday, April 10, 2010

FAN: Still A Fan The Early Years VII

Well, the cool toy posts are slowing down as this is the only pic of a few holidays I could find with toys in it that I remember. The Karate Men, Chutes Away which I loved, 3 Revel models, a Star Wars puzzle and Hit 'n Run. Chutes Away the plane moved back and forth on a lever and you looked through a target and released yellow plastic paratroopers by trigger. The object was to land them in the cups on the plate which rotated. It was cool. Hit and run was a lame version of pinball where you simply shot the ball out of a pinball type starter and it would bounce off of one bumper and then go into slots for outs, single, double, triple, etc. The diamond would rotate and you put a plastic player in the batter's box to start. A bar knocked them off into a scoring tray if they made it home on a hit. Another picture from this year showed the Star Wars score LP by John Williams which I actually listened to a lot.
This was my one and only appearance on the mound. I was never made to be a pitcher. I only played organized baseball for 4 years and I mostly played second base, center field or right field. If memory serves me correctly, there was a rule about how many innings a kid could pitch a week and we had a monster week coming up and I was simply eating innings to free up our real pitchers for other games. I didn't hit anybody. Can't remember the outcome of the game at all. My form doesn't look too bad. As I've stated in other posts, I could play each sport enough to not be embarrassed, but even at that age I had no illusions that I was an integral part of the team. The only year I was a starter was when I was 11 and on the minors when a lot of 11 year-olds were already in the majors. I had a good year that year.
This must have struck fear into the hearts of opposing pitchers.....me calling for time in the batter's box! This particular at bat was either a walk or a hit as the next picture in the series shows me on third base. I don't ever recall a triple so I assume the picture was not taken right after. I wish I started playing tennis or golf around this time which would have put me further ahead at the games I do much better at than baseball or basketball. I was too small to even think about playing football. I guess I could have punted?
My first real drum! This is a steel Premier snare drum that had to do until I purchased a used set which will be coming up shortly. All I could do was practice rudiments on this thing. RLRR LRLL......lol.
I was in 5th grade here and Still A Sis was in 8th. We were both in the Memorial Day Parade. This wasn't my first parade as I played cymbals as a 4th grader but skipped that picture as it was blurry. You can't tell here but I'm wearing those cool 70's flip up clip on shades. Very cool. To this day I still remember the cadence we used in elementary school. I was in 4 different marching bands and we'll talk about more later as The Dog will have better stories than me about one of them, but I remember every single cadence I've ever played. I even wrote one that the high school used and continued to use for a while at least after I was gone. That's nice validity I guess that it was catchy. I did steal the bass line for it though although I can't remember from where.

4 comments:

bluzdude said...

I loved Little League! This reminds me that I have to do a post on playing Little League too. (You steal cadences, I steal post ideas.)

I was a serviceable ballplayer, even good at times, until 8th grade when the pitchers suddenly got so good I couldn't even see the ball. At least that's what I thought, until I learned that I needed glasses. (Desperately.)

Funny how much a little thing like eyesight matters.

Still A. Fan said...

Bluz....I only lifted the quad bass line!! I'm no criminal, but I didn't pay royalties...lol

stilladog said...

Looks like the North End field was still used for the minors when you played? It's the major field now and has been for some time. Too bad the West Side field has just deteriorated into oblivion.

I learned very early I wasn't a very good ballplayer. I played on a team at 7 years old that included 2 boys who would end up playing Major League Baseball. My illusions got crushed pretty early. In our league my first year there were 2 guys who played in the major leagues and 2 other guys who played professional baseball at the A and AA levels. And yet another guy who played NFL football. And they were all older than me.

I never thought I was worth a shit and played mostly just sandlot baseball, wiffle ball, or softball (in and out of organized leagues). When I was 16 I went to work with a bunch of kids from other towns and counties up by where Still A Dad lives now. We organized a softball team and I was by far the best player on that team. It's all relative I suppose.

When I was young I lived to play baseball even though I couldn't really hang with most of the kids in my town. Now I don't give a rat's ass about the game at all. Had a chance to go to Orioles opening day on Friday for free (the only way I'll ever go to see MLB again is free) and I turned it down.

I might go to see Gay Men Ice Dancing in Peter Pan before MLB... well, maybe not. As Clint Eastwood once said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

still a cowbell said...

Some cool pics here of retro toys including Chutes Away and Kar-a-a-ate Men:

http://www.timewarptoys.com/gallery.htm