Friday, July 21, 2006

The Holy Rolling Far Right Is Bothering Me

I'm utterly frustrated with my political party this week. Yes, I swing to the right on a lot of key issues - at least idealistically. Most of my affiliations with the right are things connected to money, taxes, defense, government size, toughness on crime and punishment..and things like that. However, there are still a few issues that I don't side with the right on, the biggest being abortion. It's not that I would ever choose it, but I buy into the business that we shouldn't be telling people what to do with their bodies. There are Republicans so far to the right that I don't agree with them just like there are some moderate Democrats that I do agree with on some things. It's the far left that I am most out of touch with as I'm not sure I agree with one liberal policy and I don't consider abortion a "liberal" policy per se. I'm not a huge fan of social programs either. Communities can have them if they want, but I don't like federal taxes going to every cause under the sun. I just can't think of one good reason to hold up stem cell research yet Bush's White House is intent on doing just that. I know his opinion is that we have enough lines started already but from what I've read, there aren't enough and his figure is grossly overestimated. Even with Nancy Reagan on board, Bush vetoed the bill. From what I've read, Bush may not even think this is a good idea but he wants to keep his "base" happy. Well, is the religious right his "base"? I know they vote for him, but I also know a ton of young Republican professionals who are not overtly religious who are very much for increasing the availability of embryos for stem cell research. I'm just guessing if we miked up God Almighty he might think it's just fine to do all the stem cell research we can handle. How can the Bible be against something that just started a few years ago? I don't agree much with Bill Maher but he had a great line once...."I'm an equal opportunity killer", meaning he's for abortion and the death penalty while most people on either side of the aisle are only in favor of one or the other. The really disappointing thing about this is that Rick Santorum of my home state felt the need to get his name on a piece of "feel good" legislature that says something asinine like "I'm all for creating new lines of stem cells as long as it's not from discarded embryos". Really? He may as well pass a bill that says "I'm against all sex acts committed against children". It's pointless really except that he's positioning himself to run as a moderate by saying he created stem cell legislation. All this from the party that I align myself with because in some respect they do seem to pine for the days of a more moral America. I'm still 90-10 to the right, but after this week it's more like 89-11. I feel like there's no way a Republican can win the next election and that makes me worry that I could wake up one day to President Clinton....again. Where is Rudy when you need him? We can still fight to have the morals of the 1950's even though we have technology from 2000. Wow. That sounds really stupid coming from the guy who likes to put "cock" in movie titles!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»