Monday, July 31, 2006

Is Holmes A Punk?

An interesting tidbit I read today on www.steelerslive.com (which is operated by a newspaper) quoted Big Ben as saying he placed several calls to Santonio Holmes after he was drafted and none of them were returned. He said the first time he spoke to him was on Friday and all he said was "Hi". How much sense does that make? Furthermore, if Ben came out and said this to the press, does it mean anything? Santonio has been working out with Hines Ward so hopefully Hines will rub off on him a little and he'll end up being a keeper. I'm starting to wonder:

A. Whose draft pick was it? Cowher's or Colbert's?

B. Was it contentious?

C. If it was Colbert's pick and Cowher didn't agree with it, could that be why all the speculation has come out since the draft about Cowher returning after his contract is up?

I've always waited to see the #1 picks perform before I throw judgement around, but this kid isn't doing anything to endear himself to the fans. I can't think back to the last #1 pick that irked me before Holmes. I can't think who the last long holdout was, but certainly nobody comes to mind when thinking about all the little things this cat has done already. Thank goodness they're all small things.

1 comment:

stilladog said...

I'd bet Santonio was Colbert's pick. Cowher has been coming out on the short end of the stick in recent years on draft day. He didn't want to go for Big Ben but was (thankfully) overruled by Colbert and young Art. The rumor was that Cowher wanted Lendale White this year.

As far as Ben/Santonio go I think he'll learn fast that Ben is the guy who gets him the ball. Only with the ball can he make the impact he's on the team for. If he don't learn this quickly, Hines will pound it into his skull. Or Ben will pair up with another guy. And there are plenty of hungry talented receivers wanting to make that connection with our QB. Not the least of which is "Faster Willie" Reid!

Good point about Cowher coaching only one more year because he's being overruled by the FO guys. That's certainly a possibility.

As for me, I'd like to see him coach this year, win another Super Bowl, and ride off into the Carolina mist. His spot in Canton now secure.

I'm anxious to see what Santonio can really do. And I'm reserving judgment too. But it's my guess that, at least initially, it'll be Batch and Omar pitching the pig to him for the next couple games.