Monday, September 11, 2006

Random Thoughts Week 1

Well, I didn't get to watch as much football as I wanted to yesterday as the wife is out of town on a business trip so I ended up spending a lot of time with the princess of the house. I caught the first half of the Eagles game and most of the Manning Bowl. Also saw all the highlites for week 1. The Eagles defense looked terrible early, making Carr look like a young Brett Favre on the first drive. They tightened up as the game went on. Sad to say, but my God I still think McNabb is a tad overrated. I only watched 2 quarters and I saw at least 5 balls thrown around the ankles of receivers. I've said it before and I'll say it again - historically, his completion percentage is low and that's really bad coming from a QB who throws short so often as planned and even more short passes to the outlet when not planned. Whatever. They aren't deep enough at RB or WR to challenge for a championship this year...in my opinion anyway. The Texans looked like.....The Texans. As for the Colts, I was pleasantly surprised. Just as I thought, the Giants were able to run the ball right at them. If the G-men had more of a passing game last night, they could have really exploited the run. When the Colts play someone that can run with power up the middle and keep 8 men out of the box with the passing game, they are in trouble on defense. That being said, they are also a threat to put up 42 on any given week and could still win with giving up 200 on the ground. I was a little shocked to see Peyton throw 3 balls that should have been picked off but the Giant DBs must have went to the Ike Taylor school for hands as they couldn't squeeze any of them. Also, to me, it says something about your team when you have 1st and goal on the 2 and you don't try to pound it in on the first 2 downs. That says to me that Dungy has no confidence powering the ball in. Why not let them try to raise their confidence? It's only week 1, but I enjoy watching the teams that we could meet in the playoffs. From the rest of the highlites I saw...I don't have much to offer since I didn't see the games...but it looks like Jake Plummer might be carrying a clipboard pretty soon. Bad numbers. The Patriots new running back looked good. Trent Green got KILLED (and he's my backup qb for my fantasy league). Favre looked JUST like he did last year. Paging Aaron Rogers, paging Aaron Rogers. One of the dumbest things I heard all day came from Micahel Irvin...no surprise. When talking about TO and how he will handle Dallas, Irvin pointed out (incorrectly) that he's not used to lining up with another big name receiver on the other side. Hmmm, Jerry Rice maybe? Oh well, enough for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Surely nobody wants to look like an old Brett Favre, even David Carr, and certainly not Brett Favre! Carr reminds me of Archie Manning. Great QB wasting on one shitty team after another.

The Manning Bowl was a marketing bullshit bonanza. Plex made a couple nice grabs. Also, I think even Ike could have caught a few of Prince Peyton's errant passes.

Put pressure on Jake Plummer and he is total excrement. Only a matter of time before Jay Cutler is the QB in Denver.

Only a matter of time too until T.O. destroys the Cowboys. It won't take many games like yesterday until he is raising hell and causing dissention as only he can.

-It's just the dog barking from outside the Beta fence.