Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Guest Post: Still A. Dog on Mike Gundy


Everybody seems to have an opinion on the Mike Gundy rant that's #1 with a bullet on YouTube.

So as the Steel City Slant resident college football commentator here's my 2 cents. Mike Gundy was a real good QB at Oklahoma State. He appears to be a pretty good college coach too (the upset 2 weeks ago against Troy State notwithstanding).

My first recollection of Mike Gundy was as OK State QB against my beloved West Virginia Mountaineers in the 1987 Sun Bowl played on Christmas day. OK State had both Thurman Thomas AND Barry Sanders and won a 35-33 track meet because West Virginia, led by RB A.B. Brown and QB Major Harris, missed a 2 point conversion with just over a minute to play. Despite having these two future hall-of-fame RBs, the OK State squad was clearly led by their QB, Gundy.

OK, that's the Gundy background (pun intended). And now for mine. I have both written for, and been interviewed by, newspapers covering sports. I can honestly say I have NEVER been accurately quoted in any article in which I was interviewed... EVER. Furthermore, some articles in which I submitted the truth in writing was edited to the point that it's accuracy became suspect. Matterafact (thanks Joey T.) they didn't spell my name right half the time either.

So when Mike Gundy goes to bat for his player who some dim-bitch newspaper woman basically called out as a pussy, I'm in his corner. She, like every other sportswriter I ever met, probably doesn't have the facts. Her conclusion is wrought with speculation and opinion. And besides, the coach has more right to call one of his players a momma's boy, not the newspaper... and he isn't doing it (at least not in public).

The wall between the media and sports figures can now be built ever higher. If all we wanted to know was the score and the stats I suppose we'd be fine. But mixing this "human interest" with football doesn't blend well especially when the writer bases her work on rumor, heresay, and any other story source that fits her agenda.

Bottom line is OK State players know Gundy has their back. And that will go a long way for him. PR blunder? Perhaps, but I for one am glad he called a spade a spade and went as far as to call it a god-damn shovel. This needed to be said and people needed to hear it. Mike Gundy is the man!

Here's the link to the newspaper article to be put in as "called out as a pussy" http://newsok.com/article/3131543 but I can't connect to it right now.Here's the YouTube video of the rant. http://youtube.com/watch?v=5VytIZZzee0

Thanks, Dog! Interesting Story!

No comments: