Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I'm The Best Daddy...EVAR!

I never saw a concert until I was about 17. I went to see Whitesnake the year they toured with Steve Vai on lead guitar. Sweet. I remember though an opportunity to see KISS in their hey-day with Ted Nugent and I got rejected by the parental units. Also had a few other chances to go to some shows when I was younger - but never got to go until I was in college. My little Princess got to see her first concert last year - The Cheetah Girls. She went with a group of girls she has been friends with forever and they had a great time with their moms. Ever since Hannah Montana debuted on The Disney Channel - she's been a devout fan. We have every episode DVR'd and I have to admit - I find a lot of humor in them myself. I love Jackson, Miley's older brother. He kills me. We also have every song that iTunes offers, including a holiday song and one or two that aren't on a CD. My little super star got an iPod for Christmas last year and just loves music and singing. She wore out 2 toy microphones so we actually bought her a real one with a little kick amp for her birthday 2 years ago. She sings for everyone who comes over and for any talent show she can enter. So, when I hear Miley Cyrus is touring with The Jonas Brothers as the opening act, I hop online a few months ago to scope it out. I see that you can get tickets four days early if you join the website fan club Miley's World for $29.95. I think about how $30 is less than half a meal at Outback and how happy she would be to be there and up-close so I drop the cabbage and wait. I recently scored tickets for Van Halen's third show which is next Monday by being vigilant at 10 AM the day tickets went on sale. I had 6 browsers open and trying to connect at the same time. Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus tickets went on sale for fan club members on a work day. Rats! Who knows if I'd get pulled into a meeting or something? I had to do something. I worked a half day. That's right. I hate the place anyway. I've been there 4 months and it's career suicide. Anyway - I said I would VPN in later to make up the hours. I hopped online at 9:45 with my Club Code in front of me and opened up 6 browsers. I had another dad on speaker phone who was trying as well. You think I'm a slacker? He is the top dog, big cheese of his company and now knows that if I ever work for him...I may take a half day at some point to make sure my daughter is happy! At 10:00:01 AM the link on browser #1 changed from MORE INFO to FIND TICKETS. I clicked that SOB as fast as I've ever clicked anything before and typed like there was no tomorrow. I got 4 tickets on my first attempt. My homeboy? No luck. The club tickets sold out in about 2 minutes. No fear. I'm going back online Saturday when they open to general population and I'm getting 4 more for my boy. If he scores his own I have Plan B. 14 tickets were on Stub Hub 10 minutes after the sale started and they started at $450 each. Not saying someone will buy them at that price.....especially if I put 4 out for $200 each. The concert is after Christmas in Atlantic City...should Santa bring the tickets? What? And miss this payoff??? I couldn't wait to get home because my wife was allowing me to tell her since I got the tickets. I thought she was going to cry she was so happy. She gave a big hug and said all I needed to hear, "Thanks, Daddy". It was SO sincere she melted my heart. Back to biting sarcasm and filthy language tomorrow.

4 comments:

stilladog said...

P.T. Barnum did not know how prophetic his words would be.

Still A. Fan said...

http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbarnum.html

i paid face value for tickets. $45 plus service charges.

i think you recently paid 3 times face value for a steeler ticket.

in reality - who are the suckers? she will get 10 times the amount of enjoyment out of her tickets and i will make a tidy profit on the tickets we dont use far above what joining the club cost me.

stilladog said...

Think about the people spending the $450 on eBay for the same thing and get back to me. Tell me there ain't suckers out there.

Every form of refuge has it's price.

stilladog said...

Oh yeah. And Marco Polo brought spaghetti to Europe too, except it was already there.

So Marco Polo gets credit for spaghetti and Barnum gets credit for a quote. History is nothing more than who's version of the story you choose to believe.

Did Robert Johnson die of poisoned whiskey or did Satan sic the hellhounds on his trail?