
I like me some pickles. I like crisp, cold pickles. I'm a huge fan of Vlasic's. For some items I could care less about what brand they are - for others, I want what I want or I'll cry like a little girl with a skinned knee. Besides Vlasic pickles, don't even try to give me ketchup that isn't Heinz. I'm a Diet Coke freak and can only tolerate Pepsi if it's the only choice and I need a caffeine fix. Other things don't bother me so much.....I'll eat any potato chip I can get my hands on, any mustard, any peanut butter......I mean I have my favorites, but others are acceptable. See? I'm not hard to please...just give me my Vlasic pickles, Heinz ketchup and Diet Coke! Why is this relevant? Before heading off to the pool today we were having some lunch and as I reached for a pickle spear, I didn't recognize the jar. I spun it around to see which inferior pickle I would be ingesting.....Mt. Olive. It put a smile on my face that made me forget about not having the best pickles money can buy. Johnny Carson's Carnac character once put a folded piece of paper to his head and said "What Yul Brenner's wife does." He opened it and read "Mount Baldy". The next time I heard "Mt. Olive" after hearing that joke I killed by making a Popeye reference......thanks to Mr. Carson. I was reminded of that joke today for the first time in years. There you go class, your lesson for the day - the next time you are with a group of people and somebody refers to Mt. Olive, you can shrivel up your nose and say "Mount Olive, isn't that what Popeye does?". Hopefully you won't hear crickets chirping as you wait for the payoff.
No comments:
Post a Comment