Wednesday, June 03, 2009

FAN: New (Old) Music

Something that is highly unusual of me lately is buying CDs. I haven't bought any in a long time. Until last week. While in Portsmouth NH at a used shop - I picked up Snooky Pryor's Shake My Hand from 1999. As it turns out, Stilladog already owned it so I could have "borrowed" it and accidentally put it on my iPod, but that's ok. Sometimes finding something used feels good. Anyway, I've listened to the disc front to back about 10 times already and I really like it. Alot. I ripped it, put it on my iPod and now I'll throw it in the yardsale pile. Feeling good abuot the find, at the mall the following weekend our local FYE had a $1.97 bin. Hmmmm, I'll take a look. I ended up buying another 4 discs. The first was George Thorogood and the Destroyer's Bad To The Bone from 1982. I had it on cassette but haven't seen it since about 1989 when I bought my first CD player. I love BTTB the single, but the rest of the CD is not the kind blues I like. I'll be surprised if I listen to it in it's entirity again after moving off BTTB t omy party mix. Next was something I really wanted and it sucks. It's a Ray Charles compilation called Essentially Ray Charles. It's not even listed on Wikipedia's discography so I'm assuming it's posthumus and a money grab. It's live and the damn cover doesn't even say it's live or I would have never bought it. Also, no cover art was found to be associated with it after I ripped it. The sound quality is a step above using a tin pie pan as a speaker. I wasted $1.97. David Lee Roth's Your Filthy Little Mouth 1994 came out of the bin as well. It has a few songs that are in the spirit of Eat 'em and Smile's Tobacco Road cover which I love. Again, for $1.97 you can't go too wrong and Dave at the very least usually puts tight bands together. Eat 'Em continues to be one of my most listened to "go to" cds. Being a huge fan of VH's original lineup, I thought E'EAS destroyed Van Hagar's first offering. The last bin find was Howlin' Wolf. It ended up being a compilation cd as well, but at least it was full of songs I didn't own. So the next morning, I go to a neighbor's yardsale and pick up 3 more discs for $0.50 each! Jay-Z something or other that contains Big Pimpin' which I like. Classical compilation of Mahler which is really good. Madonna's something or other that I knew Mrs. Fan didn't own but would want for half a dollar. I think it's the disc right before Ray of Light also from mid 90's. All in all I picked up 8 cds for less than $20. Heck, I think I got $20 worth of enjoyment out of the Snooky Pryor cd. It really reminds me of a Jimmy Witherspoon cd "Live at the Mint".

1 comment:

stilladog said...

If you like Shake My Hand, I also highly recommend two other Snooky Pryor albums which were recorded in the 90s.

Mind Your Own Business, and Too Cool To Move. In my opinion, Too Cool To Move is the best Snooky Pryor album in my collection... to date.