Thursday, July 02, 2009

FAN: I Got Cooties

The Big Giant Company let us off work today at noon. Superb. The only thing that sucked about it is that I was in at 7 AM. The folks who got in at 8:30 caught a break today. Anyway, since I was done early I volunteered to take my daughter to a birthday party because it was most of the way to a used CD store I've been meaning to check out. While there I checked out the Blues section which I was a little disappointed in. It was sparse on CD. They had more vinyl than discs for Blues. It seemed like more 60's and 70's rock to me on CD but it's all good. I love looking at music. Just the smell of the vinyl jackets is enough to send me over the edge sometimes. I sent Stilladog a text because I saw an interesting CD and the price was right. Cootie Stark's Sugar Man. Dog didn't have it so I picked it up. I really like it a lot. Right up my alley. I found myself bobbing along to the first track on my way home. While Cootie was a stand-up double considering the price, I struck out on my second purchase. I feel like taking it back but since it's a used local store - I'll suck it up and consider it my civic duty to support small businesses and keep the turd. The marketing got me - I have to admit it. I bought Carolina Chocolate Drops "Dona Got A Ramblin' Mind". I hope somebody besides the Dog just read that and laughed as it's a little bit of an inside joke. Anyway, while I want to be eveolved and say I can appreciate the music - the store totally had this mislabeled as Blues. It's not even close. I'm not even sure I would call it "roots" music. It sounds more folkish than anything on the "O Brother Where art Thou" soundtrack to me. In fact, I can describe it well as I made Still A Stroke laugh in the car when I put it in. It sounds like something that would be playing in the background while watching a Civil War documentary. Something Pa would play and clap to on Little House on the Prarie. I'll be selling this one back to the place where I can do the best. Not even sure I'll keep it on my iPod as I can't think for a second why I would ever listen to it again. In fact, I only listened to enough of each song to say..."Yup, just like the last one". Oh well, walking around the store and seeing old familiar album art made me smile. I would have loved to rip the two nose rings out of the skinny jeans wearing hipster working the counter, but I didn't have time for the police to come and question me. Here's a clip of Cootie Stark. In the end Dog could have given me Cootie, but like I said, I enjoyed my hour plus int he store and it's local so it's all good. Stay at YouTube and search for some CCD to see if you like it. I see from the comments it's identified as "Old-Time". The Bluegrass fans got angry when people referred to them as Bluegrass. Lol. Wow. I didn't really there were angry splinter groups!

1 comment:

stilladog said...

I guess there's a reason I never heard of the Carolina Chocolate Drops.

I finally found that Cootie Stark not in my collection, but in a place where I could pick it up. But by then you already had it.

Glad you like it. I'd like to check it out next chance we get.