
Just three months ago I posted this about movie prices. Yesterday I took Still A Stroke to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and I thought it would be terribly crowded and maybe I shouldn't walk in with a Big Gulp. I decided to throw caution to the wind and use the snack bar instead. I told her we would share a beverage of her choice and she chose water. Cool. I wasn't even looking at prices. She chose a bag of fruit snacks and I grabbed a box of chocolate covered raisins. When I asked for a bottle of water the dude said the large bottle was only a quarter more so I approved the upgrade. I told Stroke the total would be $10. Not understanding the economics of rape, she guessed $3. $11.50 said the dude. I watched him ring in $3.50 twice for the candy, so that means the water was $4.50? How much is the water? $4.50. I just started started laughing out loud. I couldn't help myself. I expect to pay more there. Absolutely. But they have now taken America's favorite cheap option off the table as a cheap option. True, it was a huge bottle, 1 full liter. Still, the liter should cost about .79. We've bought cases of water on sale for $1.99. I wanted to scream "Fack you and your overpriced movie snacks you pimply faced little dweeb....." but I didn't. The movie is two and a half hours long. We will both be thirsty. Sigh. I guess next time we go back to the big shoulder bags and hidden snacks. The easy solution is to only watch movies at home, but I am a fan of the whole experience. I actually like going to the theater to see popular new releases on the big screen. I love the smell of popcorn and the way my feet stick to the floor after I take my seat. If I owned a theater, I think for one month I would make the prices more inline with a convenience store to see if I would garner more money by selling more product at lower prices. The fact that it's dark inside really encourages people to bring their own. I heard more than one canned carbonated beverage open while in there. I'm not the type to bring food into Magic Kingdom in a backpack. Again, I'm there to take it all in and not have a care in the world. At Great Wolf Lodge, I'll pay $4.50 for a hamburger in order to not have my daughter popping open a can of microwaved mac-n-cheese to eat a room temperature like we saw some families doing the last time we were there. Once the lights go out at the movies? It's on.
No comments:
Post a Comment