Monday, September 21, 2009

FAN: Coaching Dividends

So going into the weekend, my JV Volleyball team was 1-1. One thing I noticed as I continue to learn the game myself was that the high short balls that the front row girls should be using a low risk hit on - the girls were stepping back, waiting and using bumping motions on. If they don't feel comfortable hitting it back one handed like a spike, they should at minimum use "Moose Ears" above the head and take it over like that.

I designed a drill to work on this at practice Saturday and it went over well. At our game on Sunday which we won for a 2-1 record, I only counted one time where a front row player let the ball play her instead of her taking it high.

How satisfying to see that! They are like little sponges. Another game tonight....stay tuned.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

3 comments:

stilladog said...

It's great to see you having fun coaching. And it is very gratifying to see the kids take what you show them and use it to win matches. The looks on their faces is priceless.

From what you have written so far I presume you have not had any "parent issues" yet. That is where youth coaching gets sidetracked.

I hope it never happens for you it is a royal pain in the ass. Cost me a shot at a championship once. Tried to keep some parents happy against my better judgement and the kid I put in the match blew it for the team. Years later, I ran across the girl I made sit out that match and apologized to her. I felt like a piece of shit. I don't know if she could have won that match but I thought she had a better shot. But she had played in the two matches leading up to the semi-finals and the other kid had to sit out. I felt I needed to get him in the game. I was wrong. His ass should have sat and he could have played the next year. 20/20 hindsight.

Still A. Fan said...

What sport? How old were you? How old were kids? No parent issues yet but JV is calm I think. I usually only have 3 reserves and 5 means everyone is there. I rotate them in and out on most rotates after the starters play one complete rotation of the squad. Based on score or who would be standing side by side, I skip swapping some people in or out but there is no pattern.

stilladog said...

Tennis.

I was around 45.

Kids were 11-15, boys and girls.

Intermediate Developmental League.

Most of my kids ended up playing HS tennis which was their goal. Many were #1 or #2 players on their HS teams. Had a couple of eventual county champions in doubles. One boy made it to the state semifinals in doubles. A few played Div. III college tennis as well. One of my boys is a HS coach himself now and we played against each other in a rec. league the past two summers. Nice bunch of kids, all of them. Cannot say the same for all the parents.