Sunday, February 12, 2006

Kimo is not Integral

Please don't get your panties in a bunch for what I am about to suggest, because it may not be very popular. In my opinion, one of Bill Cowher's faults over the years has been showing too much loyalty to veterans who are past their prime when younger players are chomping at the bit to make a contribution to the team. Recent examples of this were continuing to play Jason Gildon, Chad Scott and Dwayne Washington a year or two too long.

Even though Brett Keisel is about 15 pounds lighter than Kimo, I have been very impressed with him every chance he gets to play. I've heard Kimo in interviews post Super Bowl where he has alluded to returning to the team. I don't think it's necessary for the Steelers to pour money into a lineman who is 34 years old. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE Kimo. He has been a solid citizen and an above average player for the past half decade for this franchise. However, looking forward, it is more important to me to continue to mix young talent with vets to sustain success rather than reward aging players for past performance. I'm glad Kimo got his ring - I'm thrilled for him - but the Steelers are loaded with young talent and at this time it's more important to keep them in the fold. Even if Kimo is willing to take less in free agency to remain a Steeler, I'm still a proponent of starting Keisel "The Deisel" this year...unless he gets beaten out by new draftee or an undrafted free agent. I don't think the Steelers will look for an end via free agency with the way Keisel played this year. I would start Keisel and draft another DL this April.

No comments: