Sunday, October 22, 2006

Ho Hum

Good news for the week - I lost, I mean won the Cut Throat pool I was in. Don't get too excited, I had to share that honor with about 11 other people. Stupid Jacksonville! Talk about stupid, the Steelers fumbled THREE times today. They couldn't be stopped on offense, yet they managed to stop themselves...again. 2-4. There is no way we can finish the season 9-1 to end up 11-5. The Steelers path to the playoffs this year is going to be winning the division. We'll have to root for the Bengals and Ravens to fall flat on their faces and win the division with a 10-6 or 9-7 record. I can't believe with the talent on this team that they can continue to lose in this fashion. For Christ's sake - put Hines Ward back there to return kicks. These are drastic times. I can't even believe Cowher can look at his Special Teams players right now. Holmes is really lucky he is turning into dependable pass catcher. I think they outpassed the Falcons by more than 150 yards. They were 7-11 on 3rd down and Atlanta was 8-16. Had Nate Washington set himself and not flinched, we may have won that game. Reed isn't money from that distance, but he can make them. My attitude is totally changing about sports the older I get. I had a ton of yard work to do todayand the second Mort's kick went through the uprights I got up, changed clothes and went outside. No big deal. Maybe that's what winning the Bowl last year did to me. We got ours. I can relax a little. Losing games is one thing - handing games to the Bengals and Falcons by not holding onto the ball is crazy. What's really funny is that after Oakland - Denver and the Saints are waiting for a shot at the champs. Do you realize if they keep doing this, they could end up being 3-6! We need a 5 or 6 game winning streak badly. As a matter of fact, we need A win badly.

1 comment:

stilladog said...

Plenty of blame to go around this week. I got my yard work out of they way in the morning so I could settle in for an exciting game. What a pisser.

Who do you blame? Here's a list in no particular order.... and possible solutions.

1. Santonio Holmes- Can't keep ahold of a punted ball any better than Retardo Chokely. At least he can catch one.
Solution: We need Willie Reid.

2. Ben Roethlisberger- Fumbled snaps are inexcusable (unless you are Kyle Boller). Otherwise a good day if you take away his concussion, more on that later.
Solution: Let him play, what the hell.

3. Ken-Doll Simmons- He missed two important blocks. One got his QB killed (see above). The other contributed to Willie Parkers fumble.
Solution: Put 68 at RG and leave him there. "Kick em in the Head" Kemo should play all the time.

4. Troy Polamalu- Like Roethlisberger, had a good game except the one important time he had outside contain on Mike Vick, he whiffed the tackle. That was HUGE!
Solution: Teach Troy how to tackle.

5. Nate Washington- Why is it important to jump the snap count in that situation? Why do these players feel it necessary to resurrect an Al Jolson blackface routine every time they score a TD? It's demeaning to African-Americans yet most of them are African-American!
Solution: Sit his ass down (sit them all down really) and explain that this is professional football and acting like a vaudevillian is not considered professional.

The entire Defense- Could not stop Mike Vick from looking like Johnny Unitas. This is a serious problem since they made Phillip Rivers look like Tom Brady also. No pass rush. Situational defenses appear to be wrong in many cases.
Solution: LeBeau has the tools at his disposal but appears to be using a hammer when he needs a screwdriver.

Willie Parker- Fumbles are starting to mount up. If there's no hole he has a tough time making yardage.
Solution: Let "Dump Truck" Davenport tote the rock a little more. Willie is great but we must put him in situations in which he can succeed.

And last but certainly not least...
"Field Goal" Billy Cowher-
A. Did he take clock managment courses from Mike Holmgren in the off season? Why waste 3 TOs with :46 on the clock at the end of the half. At that point Big Ben was on fire.

B. Why lose a TO challenging a TD that 3 out of 4 scoreboard replays showed was the correct call?

C. Why play Simmons who continues to F-up week after week when Kemoeatu is clearly better?

D. Where was Najeh Davenport? Dude played like his hair was on fire last week and this week he is totally MIA?? Perplexing.

E. I thought Cowher was overseeing Special Teams but he sure didn't have them ready for an on-sides kick! If the Ravens and Cardinals can fire an offensive coordinator in mid-season how can we justify keeping Kevin Spencer??

Solution: Everybody say "Go Wolfpack!"

It's not over til we say it's over. But one more loss and barring a total collapse in both Cincy and Baltimore, the season is over.