Tuesday, October 24, 2006

It's Called EZ-Pass For A Reason!

Listen people, EZ-Pass was developed to make paying for toll roads mindless. Simply continue driving and the toll will be put on your credit card. Not even. We pay in $70 chunks and then when the amount is depleted - they hit the card for another $70. Easy as pie. Right? Wrong! I use the turnpike every other day on my commute to work. I fly through the EZ lanes usually going around 20 mph even though the posted limit is 10. I've already received 1 warning in the mail for speeding through a lane, but I don't remember where that was. We have a few lanes near us where they break it off and separate the gates from the rest of the change throwers and you don't even have to slow down to go through them. New York and New Jersey have some lanes where you can stay around 35-45 mph. I digress. Yesterday as I'm moving over to use the EZ-Pass lane, the woman in front of me slowed down to a CRAWL as she approached the gate......then she stopped. I could tell she was leaning over into the passenger seat or something. I thought maybe she was in the wrong lane. I counted to 5 real slow and then I did what any other American would do - I honked the horn at her and threw my hands in the air in the universal sign for "what's up?". Just as I honked I saw what was up. She had her EZ-Pass unit in her hand and she held it up to the great card reader like a heathen praying to a golden calf. I've seen other people do this, albeit a little more gracefully than this particular lady. Please, when you give your credit card to the waitress at the Sizzler, do you follow her to make sure she doesn't run it through a card scanner or jot the numbers down? Have you ever bought anything online? Do you shred every document that leaves your house? You have effectively killed the brilliant simplicity of the entire EZ-Pass system! What's the difference between stopping to get your unit in your hand (no jokes please) or fishing around in your purse for quarters? None! I wouldn't be totally surprised if the EZ reader picks up the unit regardless if it's glued to your windshield or sitting on your front seat. Which reminds me, If you're not going to stick it to your windshield, could you at minimum SIT IT ON YOUR FRONT SEAT? That way you won't have to stop people like me who embrace technology from barrelling through at twice the legal speed limit! Damn!

No comments: