Time for another installment of WAYLT Now? As you know by now I am constantly in search of new music and keep my eyes open for some old stuff I have not heard in years (which means I don't own it). And as you probably also know, "new" music only occasionally means music that has been released recently. New Music means anything I've never heard before. And occasionally I dive into the old vault and revisit some great old tunes from my past.
So here's what's blasting out of the Woofers at our house this month:
10. The Allman Brother Band at A&R Studios 8/28/1971. Duane was in rare form for this gig to promote the Live At The Fillmore album for a NYC FM radio station. He died less than 2 months later.
9. Memphis Gold - Gator Gon' Bitechu! This is a new release. I met Memphis Gold's wife one time and she told me some crazy stories about the years that Memphis Gold played guitar in Ike Turner's band. There seem to be no shortage of Ike Turner stories out there if you talk to the right people.
8. Fred Chapellier & Friends - Tribute To Roy Buchanan. Chapellier does 14 Roy Buchanan covers with some help from a bunch of guests. It ain't Roy but it's still good.
7. Blue Mitchell - Blue's Blues. This is one I used to have on vinyl which I bought at a used record store (Jim's?) in the Bloomfield section of Pittsburgh circa 1978. Finally found someone who had digitized it from their vinyl copy. I don't think it's ever been released on CD. It is as good as I remembered.
6. Robbie Kreiger -No Habla. As you might guess from the title, this is an all instrumental album by former Doors guitarist, Robbie Krieger. It's terriffic. I think it's from 1989.
5. Osibisa - The Very Best Of. Had to have my African music fix for the month. My favorite song on here is Ayiko Bia which I first heard in 1974. Somehow I'm relating it to some Ginger Baker stuff from back then but I don't know. It's probably some kind of African classic but I don't know that either.
4. Marcus Miller - Silver Rain. Thankfully there's only a couple tracks on this album with vocals. Everything else is totally captivating.
3. Otis Grand (with Debbie Davies & Anson Funderburgh) - Grand Union. Wow, what a nice three guitar blues album. I don't know how this album evaded me for so long. It is great, from 1998.
2. Dwight Yoakum - Dwight's Used Records. Dwight covers everything from Johnny Cash to ZZ Top and all points in between. I love albums of cover songs anyway and this one is OUT-STAN-DING!
And the #1 album Dog is woofing about this month....
1. Son Seals - Spontaneous Combustion. I just picked this up because I thought it looked interesting and I felt I was a little light on my Son Seals albums in the collection. What a find it was! Don't get me wrong, I saw Son Seals play one time and he did not impress me in the least. But this album is unbelievably good. I guess everybody has a bad day. 'Cause this guy can really play.
2 comments:
i've been listening to stuff thats on my ipod that i havent had a chance to listen to yet. I got a lot of Coheed & Butthead from an intern last year and never really listened to it. I quickly buzzed through some songs, but it sounds like Rush to me and I'm a Rushologist. If I want to hear music that reminds me of Rush, I'll listen to Rush. I have 30+ songs by a band called "Brand New". They are interesting. Some of their acoustic stuff is really good. Again, it reminds me of something - older REM. I won't listen to older REM though as I've grown to really dislike Michael Stipe. When they get heavier, it's not as good as the lighter stuff. I listened to Bob Marley and the Wailers GH this week at work. I understand he is a legend and what he stands for. What I don't get is how freaking similar every song is. Is he like Dylan? A lyricist but not really a great song writer? Whatever. Then I dove into RUN DMC, their debut album. I picked it up at a yardsale for $1. I had the cassette back in the day. I was bee-bopping at work. Hard Times, Sucker MC's, Its Like That, Rock Box
People wrongly say Run-DMC and Aerosmith's Walk This Way was the first rock/rap song that may have inspired acts like Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park..... Rock Box was well before that. This CD kicks ass. It's crazy to me that this came out less than 5 years after Rapper's Delight debuted. Rap went pretty far in those 5 years.
You're right, Rock Box was a couple years ahead of Walk This Way.
I need to add some Run DMC to my collection. I have nothing digitized. And I can only remember having the Walk This Way 12" Single in my vinyl collection.
Post a Comment