Thursday, February 01, 2007

Cowher on HBO = Yawn

Well, almost as expected, the piece that King raved about was guiltless self-promotion. He was at Cowher's house (which they didn't show) and they went into a tape room and as Bill pontificated on what might happen, they then ran that exact scenario on Madden '06. It was a 5 minute piece and no time to get into any depth whatsoever. Regarding Dog's last comment, maybe they did get into depth but then it was edited out due to lack of total understanding! Anway - Cowher predicts the Bears are not afraid of Dallas Clark deep over the middle because that is Urlacher's territory and he can cover it. Other gems? They will chip Freeney to slow him down by bringing someone over in motion right before the snap. Not much else to chew on as I didn't think the piece on air equalled what King described in his article. I think the piece got edited down. The show was busy last night as they had Bill Walsh on who was only given weeks to live after being diagnosed with acute leukemia. Walsh was defiant in defending the west coast offense by pointing out if you run on 1st down and get 4 yards you are applauded for "establishing the run" and "setting the tone". His question to these critics? What's wrong with passing for 4 or 5 yards on first down? Who knows. I know it's nice to have a physical running game when you are trying to run out the clock with a lead. I also know when it's 3rd and 3 or 4 defenses have to respect the run if you can run. He was then called the greatest Super Bowl coach of all time. Hmmmm, seems to me he won 3 and Chuck Noll won 4.

2 comments:

stilladog said...

I sincerely doubt Cowher got into any depth with his analysis. If he did, King wouldn't have known what part to edit out... he wouldn't have understood any of it.

But at least we gained some insight into how Steeler game plans were put in place. Cowher would come up with an idea and then try it out on the Madden game. What could be more realistic than that?

Sorry to hear about Bill Walsh. I always liked him. If I am not mistaken, he played for the Steelers back in the 50s. Walsh belong in the (as they say) group picture of greatest Super Bowl coaches --along with Joe Gibbs and (much as I hate to say it) Bill Belichick-- but Noll is still undisputed emperor of Super Bowls.

Trivia: Did you realize that the NFL's all-time winningest coach, Don Shula, was a miserable 2-4 in Super Bowls? And Tom Landry was 2-3? Makes the Big Tuna's 2-1 record really stand out and Jimmy Johnson's 2-0 really impressive. But Shanahan is 2-0 as was George Seifert so...

Still A. Fan said...

at least shanny built his team. seifert just inherited his much in the same manner barry switzer did. look what seifert did in carolina.