Tuesday, February 20, 2007

No Tuna Nets Here


I'm addicted. It all starts when my daughter is bored. We hop online and go to one of several flash game sites. A few favorites are MySpace, KillSomeTime and CoffeeBreakArcade. We sift and sort trying a few games here and there and we usually end up finding something we both like and playing it for hours over the next few weeks until like a crack addict we no longer get the same high from playing it and move on to a harder drug. Some past addictions for us were Cookie Time Delivery and Ant Farm. I had ant farm down to science. I've now found a game that I don't get bored with if you just play a few times a day. It's called Dolphin Olympics and can be found here. WARNING: contents are HIGHLY addictive. Each game lasts 2 minutes and the first day we found it - we played about an hour without stopping. My daughter got frustrated because he's hard to control at first - but her wiley father who is a vet of the early 80's arcade invasion has never met a controller he hasn't seen and mastered before (unless it's some new fangled console game controller with 27 buttons - if it is - his nephew kicks his ass at it). Lucky enough, this game only uses 4 keys. You jump this dolphin around and do tricks. Landing cleanly with no splash is the trick to high scores. I used to be happy with 10,000 points when I first started. Now, I get 150,000 and I'm not happy. Landing 10-12 consecutive clean jumps and quickly turning direction back to the sky will get you fireworks if you make it to the moon and I've even shot past the moon and had Mars on the screen. This may be the single best flash game I've come across. Have fun. Remember, to score high you must make no splash for many jumps in a row while continuing to do tricks in the air. I usually stop "tricking" at the jump's apex and make sure my nose is pointed towards the water. As you land successive jumps you keep gaining speed and it gets harder and harder to turn yourself around cleanly in the water without running into the bottom.

No comments: