
I am so sick of seeing recycled television. I saw the commercials for Modern Family starring Ed O'Neil and decided to give it a try. Al Bundy is one of my top 10 favorite TV characters of all time. What the heck, I'll tape it and give it a try. The show had two plots going on at the same time. The first plot had a dad who didn't trust his son with a new bike. He saw what he thought was his bike up against a parking meter so he decided to take it to scare his son. After some sitcom fun, they had 3 identical bikes at the house. Not funny. Really not funny when your daughter just started watching some old Full House reruns on Nick and you just saw this almost identical plot 2 weeks ago. It was so fresh in my mind it seemed like a blatant ripoff. I wish I could post pictures side by side of the families with 3-4 of the same bikes in the photo. The second plot going on involved a gay couple taking their adopted child to a "Gymboree" type place for some fun. Once there they are asked questions about his development like if he's grabbing for things or stacking blocks. The one guy actually takes a stack of blocks from in front of the kid next to his and slides it in front of his and then draws attention to it. Funny.....unless you're a big Murphy Brown fan. When people talk to me about Murphy Brown, three episodes come to mind. First, the modern art episode where she challenges critics to pick out something her son did against other artists. Second, the actor who plays Andre The Giant's keeper in Princess Bride is a politician who takes money from a white supremacist type group and then gets grilled by Murphy about it on air. Priceless. Third, the episode where Murphy joins a "moms group" only to find out how competitive it is and that other kids are clapping and her son won't clap. Again, 20 years apart it might not seem the same, but I swear if you played them back-to-back, people would cry "Bullshit". It reminds me of the time I saw the girl on ER interviewed (I can't remember her name. I'm too tired to Google but she was Clooney's chick and she was on The Sopranos for a short stint) and she was asked why she left. She said "how many times can one hospital ER blow up?". That summed it up brilliantly. My daughter is amazed while watching Drake and Josh or iCarly that I am able to tell her exactly what's going to happen. "How did you know that?" she'll say. Sigh. Because I saw Ritchie Cunningham do it. Then I saw Alex P. Keaton do it. Then I saw Mike Seaver do it. Then I saw Randy Taylor do it. The names change, a detail changes....it's the same freaking plot. People wonder why reality TV took over. Because all the good writers went to HBO, Showtime, Fx.... Once Two And A Half Men retires, the network sitcom will be completely dead.
3 comments:
The episode of FULL HOUSE is called Bicycle Thief and the episode of Murphy Brown is called GAMES MOTHERS PLAY. After reading the summaries, I'm even more convinced. Losers.
Movies are the same way. Evidently producers only want to invest in and re-do the same ideas that were successful before.
I commented a few posts ago that all TV sucks, and questioned my intelligence (or lack thereof) in spending money on a pair of high quality big screens. This proves my point.
As for movies, it is indeed much the same. Remakes of old movies have been going on almost since the inception of talking films. And sequels that suck are another favorite by brainless Hollywood idiots. It's all about $$.
In fact, all of America is like this. Car companies found it more important to put money into the marketing of the extra cup holders in cars than to put it into better and more fuel efficent engines, transmissions, and brakes. You know, the things that make cars go and stop. And look at their sorry asses now.
Post a Comment