Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Slanted Simon Says

Ok, Ok, Ok, time for Still A Dog to critique my television viewing habits, so it must be time for American Idol to start the weekly competition where America votes for the people they want to stay another week. Like I've said before, my little princess loves music and it's one of the very few shows my entire family watches together. Sure, I'd like to take her in a room, shut the door and turn her on to Led Zeppelin, but she's not quite ready for that. At eight I was listening to Kiss and a few K-Tel "hits" LPs.....Wow, am I dating myself with that tidbit of information. My house typically had music playing when I was young and I remember Still A Dad had some choice picks in his collection including The Doors, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Neil Young and "real" country music - Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. Even when I was younger than that, my mother constantly had AM radio on during the day and I gained a lot of knowledge about "the oldies" just from barely paying attention to it every day. Where was I going with this......oh yeah......my daughter loves music and loves to sing and she "loves her some Idol" and I have to admit....I do too. So tonight we paid special attention to try to guess who wouldn't make it another week. After watching all twelve acts, I have to say I was jotting down a number 1-10 before the judges opened their mouths and I was in tune with Simon on all but one act. Here is how the Slanted Duo rank the men for Week 1:

1.T David Archuleta (voice)
1.T Michael Johns (performance)
3. David C
4. Robbie (hate him, so fake it brings me to tears)
5. David H
6. Danny
7. Jason C.
8. Chikezie
9. Colton
10. Garret
11. Luke
12. Jason Y

I hereby guarantee that the two kicked off will be in my bottom three.

8 comments:

stilladog said...

Looks like there's a wide group who can actually sing pretty well in this go-around.

Looks like most of the boys are gay too. I guess that's no surprise if you watch this show. I don't, and it surprised me at the utter gayness of it all. But who else would really want to be on Idol anyway?

Take all this with a grain of salt because it's what I learned while being in the room with the show on. I didn't actually watch any of it (and if I did I would never be stupid enough to admit it).

Anonymous said...

I'm really annoyed this season since the focus seems less on giving a shot to those who never hade it and more on giving a second chance to those who already blew it.

Anonymous said...

Garrett must go. Sorry, don't remember anyone else's name yet...I need a few more weeks for it to soak in. I like the 17 year old with the short dark hair. And I didn't think Simon would like the guy with the dredlocks, but he did! Is that the one you were wrong on?

Anonymous said...

Is Robbie the guy who did the Elvis number last night?

Still A. Fan said...

to the dog - put a cutie pie on yur lap with big sad eyes (that isnt a canine) and you'd watch it too. gayness and all. not that there's anything wrong with that.

sis - yes on dreads. no, robbie is mr fake ski cap wearing nut whom simon also questioned his authenticity as a rocker. for god's sake, he was in a boy/girl band that once opened for britney spears. he sucks. cut him. too worried about his look. i freaking hate guys like him.

stilladog said...

Frayed knot, Fan. I'd just do what my parents did to me when I wanted to watch The 3 Stooges or Studio Wrestling with "Chilly" Bill Cardille. Turn the TV on and walk away.

If I want to hear a gay man sing I can find some Little Richard somewhere I think.

Idol has zero entertainment value for me... although it is one step ahead of Ice Fishing With Celebrities. You know, the show were Emmitt Smith danced on thin ice?

I'd rather watch chimpanzees masterbate on Animal Planet. Or was that America's Funniest Home Videos?

Still A. While said...

Your top 3 are my top 3.
Great minds think alike.
Lets see how the chickies do.

Still A. Fan said...

ahhhh, but i beg to differ. she is 8, going on 12 or 13. i blinked and she went from baby to 3rd grade. the next time i blink, she might be off to college. like i said - she has a love of music that i want to nurture and be a part of. do i want to play drums with my brushes along to hannah montana while she sings at the mic? not especially. i'd rahter play rush and let her sing getty's parts. do i want to spend superior quality bonding time with her doing something that she loves doing with me. heck yeah! we talk the entire time idol is on about what we liked about each performance. she knows when they go off pitch. she knows "feelin it" versus singing it. granted, if she wanted to turn the tv off and play trivial pursuit i'd be down with that as well, but to me, to have the three of us watching the show, together, and talking about it - it's very important to her and she looks forward to it. i'm too much of a sucker for her to disappoint. she's my cocaine. what else can i say? i recently read "strong fathers, strong daughters" and whether psychologists are loopy or not, they all pretty much agree that the bond formed between fathers and daughters at an early age have a lot to do with how they react around men when they get to their, COUGH, ACK..adolescent years. shit, i hated to even type that.

mis, buy that book for hubby. sis, maybe uncle k gets that for christmas. kevin cowbell - you dont need the book. the book is designed to save my princess from those icky boys.