
Well, it's official - our sucky mascot now has a sucky name to go with it "Steely McBeam". While I don't even want a team mascot, I can readily admit that children might like it. The thing is, when I go to games, there aren't too many children around who are of that age group. Yes, kids will like it when he shows up at local events and schools....but did we have to name it? Couldn't he simply be "the Steeler mascot". No. We needed to name it....and name it we did. Out of 70,000 entries, they must have only read 4 and the other 3 were unreadable crayon entries. "Steely McBeam" is so ridiculous I can't even fathom how it was chosen. I want to know who made the final call and what the final 5 entries were. I swear I could rattle off 5 better names right now without even thinking. Oh, you don't think I can? Well, here goes:
1. Hard Hat Harry
2. Lunch Pail Larry
3. Wally Welder
4. Blue Collar Bob
5. Gary Girder
Ok, those are a little silly, but in all honesty - how about just plain 'ole "Mr. Steel". Really. "Mr. Steel". Simple. To the point. Not too kiddy. "Steely McBeam"? In a town full of Polish and Slovakian descendants - why the "Mc"? Is it to celebrate the five Scottish and seven Irish descendants of da 'Burgh? Think about it...shouldn't he have a "ski" at the end of his name instead of it starting with a "Mc"? I'm disappointed and I bet The Chief is rolling over in his McGrave.
10 comments:
McBeam might just be worse than the "Elvis" Patriot mascot. I agree that Football teams have no business having mascots! Now - Cheerleaders are a different subject.
i concur. in fact, sucky mcsuck suck would be a good name for the cheer squad ;)
I think "Sucky" will stick around for this season, be forced into an early retirement, and quickly be forgotten about. Kinda like Huey Richardson.
nice. perfect comment.
I think Steely bears an uncanny resemblance to Bill Cowher. Seriously.
The lady who won the naming contest was on the news the other night, explaining the name. She selected Beam because of the steel connection (duh) and that Jim Beam is her husband's favorite drink.
And hey, the Pats mascot looks like Elvis? I don't see that one...I thought more like Jay Leno with the chin.
and she said "mc" because they are irish. stupid. she entered 70 times. i bet the other 69 were better. loser old bat.
He's so gay looking Squealy McCreem is more like it. Although I did vote for "Bill Cowher" as his name knowing very well it would not be chosen. He probably has as much air in his plastic head as the real Bill has in his. And there's no denying the chin resemblance.
Good thing the Patriots have that Elvis/Jay Leno mascot. At least one team will have a gayer mascot than us. ...You can't count Edgar, Allan, & Poe, the Shitbirds mascots, just because they were plucked from zesty session at a Turkish bath and fitted for Raven jerseys.
As for pretty much all NFL cheerleaders, they suck too... and that's a good thing.
When he poops out a chnk of pig iron they can call it a McNugget.
Steel City South got it right... he'll last as long as Lawrence Timmons er, I mean Huey Richardson. Ahhh, same thing.
Post a Comment