Thursday, August 02, 2007

Water Under Troubled Bridge

This is sad. With all the money we spend on pork projects, I hope some local politicians can't sleep for years knowing this happened on their watch. Jesus Christ, from reading this article, it seems like the bridge actually has to fail before it will be replaced or shut down. If I was the agency that inspected that bridge or the person that acted on the inspection - I would hurry up and buy some towels and explosive devices and hide them in the bushes and rubble as quickly as possible. This is almost worse than terrorism. Here's what needs to happen, we need the daughter or son of every inspection officer to stand on every bridge with a full load of traffic and some construction equipment. If they aren't feeling good about that prospect......shut the bridge down! This isn't Mexico, this is the United States Of America. We pay $4 for coffee. We buy $500,000 homes. We drive $40,000 cars. We can't keep the busiest bridge in the state safe? Give me a freakin' break. 77,000 bridges in the nation are categorized the same way as this pile of shit? Oh my GOD! I'm driving to western PA this weekend. I'll feel safe crossing the Susquehanna going West on the new bridge....but I think coming East we'll be on the old bridge which needed to be replaced. Yikes! Talk about crossing your fingers and going. I'll be going about 100 mph. Still A Sis and family will be crossing the Tap/Zee tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed, sis. Take a floaty with you. What horrible deaths those had to have been. It makes me sick to my stomach. As those agency's shredders warm up....I can only hope the very pants are sued off of them to the point where this will never, ever happen again here. Somewhere, that Mother Hubbard Bin Ladin is laughing at us and we probably deserve it.

1 comment:

stilladog said...

I think the Susquehenna Bridge you'll be taking will be fine. It's the Susquehenna Bridge on I-95 that I don't trust.

Glad the US-40 bridge over Yough Lake at Confluence was just rebuilt. That old bridge was long and scary. You could see chunks of concrete eroding away on it while you drove across it!

Someday the stupid Americans will figure out that in order for people to go to games at new sports stadiums it is important to have safe roadways to and from the stadium first. Probably won't happen in my lifetime though.

Thought you weren't motoring West until the following weekend?